Wings, Wheels, Rotors and Expo to showcase hundreds of cars in October
Wings, Wheels, Rotors and Expo (WWRE) is an annual open house and family event sponsored by the Los Alamitos Area Chamber of Commerce and the California National Guard’s Joint Forces Training Base (JFTB). This year, all the fun and excitement will converge on base on Sunday, October23.
All the activities will take place on the 1,000,000 square foot tarmac on Los Alamitos Army Airfield (KSLI).
Los Alamitos Army Airfield is the last remaining military airfield in the greater Los Angeles/Orange County area. With the longest runways in the OC, the JFTB is also the disaster support area for Southern California.
Wings Wheels & Rotors will showcase hundreds of cars at — hot rods, antiques, new cars,roadsters, dragsters, motorcycles and trucks will be displayed and compete for awards.
Alongside the cars will be military aircraft, helicopters and warbirds along with public safety, first responder and military equipment. Planned aircraft flyovers include aircraft static displays and radio-controlled airplanes.
Wings Wheels & Rotors will have various civilian and public safety helicopters with fire, police and military rotorcraft including some of the media aircraft seen daily on the air around SoCal.
Helicopter awareness will be supported by the Professional Helicopter Pilot Association (PHPA).
Helicopter flights in civilian “choppers” will be available for a small fee.
Also available will be free flights in general aviation airplanes by the Experimental Aircraft Association Young Eagles for youths between the ages of 8 and 17 years who are interested in flying and aviation.
Families will want to seek out the WWRE 2011 Kids Korner for family-oriented events and activities.
Plus: food! music! vendors! displays! demonstrations! and flybys!
Want to showcase your car? Enter your pride and joy in the WWRE car show! Visit www.wwrexpo.net online for information on entry requirements.
A portion of the proceeds will go to the JFTB Morale Welfare and Recreation (MWR) funds to support armed forces personnel on the base.
Sponsor opportunities and vendor spaces are available. Call the Los Alamitos Chamber of Commerce at 562-598-6659.
Free admission, free parking. Donations accepted.
No smoking, dogs, bikes or alcohol permitted.
Wings, Wheels, Rotors and Expo is open to the public. Be prepared to show a government-issued photo I.D. to enter the base.
- Free tour of Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base (oc-breeze.com)
- California National Guard members return today from year in Iraq (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Los Alamitos Chamber of Commerce donates to Rotary Club (oc-breeze.com)
- Seen: at last night’s Los Alamitos Chamber mixer (oc-breeze.com)
- Dr. Sherry Kropp speaks at Chamber breakfast (oc-breeze.com)
- 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular at the JFTB (oc-breeze.com)
- BGEN Jones addresses Regional Military Affairs Committee (oc-breeze.com)
- Unveiling BBQ a hot ticket at the JFTB (oc-breeze.com)
- Boy Scout Troop 658 visits JFTB (oc-breeze.com)
- News from other sources: JFTB, redistricting, Casa Youth Shelter and gophers (oc-breeze.com)