On Saturday, September 19, 2011, the Orange County Coroners Office identified the body recovered from the Seal Beach West Jetty as Joe Wayne Benford of Long Beach; the swimmer reported missing August 31, 2011 off the surfside beach.
The Orange County Coroner is awaiting toxicology results but found no evidence of foul play.
A file photo by C.E.H. Wiedel looking southeast towards Anaheim Bay from the Seal Beach municipal pier.
- Body recovered from west jetty of Anaheim Bay (oc-breeze.com)
- Body Found in Seal Beach May Be That of Swimmer Missing for Two Weeks (laist.com)
- Body found near Seal Beach believed to be missing swimmer (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Search continues for swimmer missing off Seal Beach (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Ten suggestions from Save Our Beach (oc-breeze.com)