You couldn’t have asked for better weather for this morning’s Race on the Base.
Clouds capped a cool and beautiful morning for running, walking, skating or cycling around the runways at Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base: 60° F at 7:32 a.m., prior to the start of the first race.
The start of races was delayed due to the huge number of cars trying to squeeze through the gates on Lexington Drive and Orangewood Ave., all converging at a single gate onto the tarmac. Cars filled the area west of the hangars all the way to the end of the paved area.
As Mayor of the host city, Troy Edgar was given the privilege of setting off the air horn for the start of the first race, the 10K Run/Skate/Wheel.
An hour later, Royce Ngiam of Southland Credit Union (presenting sponsor for the Race) got to make the big noise from atop the JFTB Fire Station’s really big nozzle truck.
Southland Credit Union also made a ruckus in the vendor tent* with two spots. The location at the front featured their ever popular money booth. Anyone who signed up for a new account could enter the booth and keep any money that they snatched from the billows of bills.
Be sure to check for race results by 6 p.m. tonight!
* The vendor expo was housed in a huge tent directly in front of the west hangar that was used for registration. Participants and spectators had to walk through the tent to register. That was well thought out to benefit the vendors.
Royce Ngiam of Southland Credit Union blows an air horn to start the running of the 10K at the Race on the Base this morning on the Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base.
- Join Southland Credit Union and get free registration for Race on the Base (oc-breeze.com)
- City of Los Alamitos partners with Run Racing to manage 2012 Southland Credit Union Race on the Base (oc-breeze.com)
- Southland Credit Union opens new office at Garden Grove civic center (oc-breeze.com)
- Free triathlon race clinics available to Race on the Base participants (oc-breeze.com)