The layout for this year’s Race on the Base was especially thoughtful towards the vendors.
The registration area was housed in a hangar to the west of the airport control tower. In order to reach the registration area, participants had to walk through the big white vendor tent.
That managed foot traffic pathway no doubt increased visitors to the vendor booths.
Johnny Rebs, as food sponsor for the Race on the Base, received a huge chunk of the vendor space to the left as visitors entered that big white tent from outside. Most of the space was taken up by sit-down and stand-up tables, with food served at the far end.
As luck would have it, as Orange County Breeze was taking a photographic census of vendors, a Hollywood star shined in the picture frame — Rudy the Goonie stood talking with friends in front of Johnny Rebs. (See ‘Featured photo’ below.) Our photographer did not realize we had caught a hobbit until reviewing photos later, and confirmed the sighting against registered race participants.
Sean Astin hanging out in the vendor tent near Johnny Rebs after running the 10k. Mr. Astin finished in the top 100 for that race. Gemini Timing lists 622 timed finishers.
- Southland Credit Union is in the running (oc-breeze.com)
- Forgotten movies: Toy Soldiers (themoviereport.net)
- Free triathlon race clinics available to Race on the Base participants (oc-breeze.com)
- Race on the Base vendor spotlight: Farm Fresh To You (oc-breeze.com)
- NCIS news: Sean Astin lands role in hit US show NCIS (thesun.co.uk)