The following information was released by Kuykendall Congressional Committee.
At the local level that is your police and fire protection. Councilman Gary Delong wants your vote to send him to Congress where these decisions are how we defend this nation and our interests around the world. Councilman Delong has not shown any leadership in this area and now wants to be promoted.
In the last several weeks the council has finally looked at the shortage of fire fighters to fill positions going vacant and police officers, in the face of double-digit increases in crime. Councilman Delong has been silent on these needs as we have cut fire and police positions. At some point neighborhood safety is the highest priority and other things have to be cut. When we do not feel safe in our homes, schools and jobs nothing else matters until we do.
Fire protection requirements are driven by the type and amount of property in our city that needs protecting and how many older people require more medical service calls. Very easily predicted and staffed for and yet Gary Delong has supported the reduction in fire fighters and fire equipment in service. This is dangerous to Long Beach residents, even those in his 3rd district, and to the fire fighters who answer calls with smaller forces. Risks to everyone go up.
Our police forces have been declining for several years. Crime is up double digits and the city doesn’t even have a certified police academy any longer to train new officers.
This is not the police officers’ fault; it is a dereliction of duty supported by Councilman Gary Delong –– the police and city know crime statistics long before the residents know them, and they also know the retirements coming in the force. Throw in the state’s prisoner release program, where hundreds of state prisoners are being released into our community beginning last year, and we have a situation ripe for problems. More criminals being released, less officers being funded, more officers retiring and no police academy to train new officers, risks for all of us go up.
Councilman Delong has not been an advocate for keeping you safe and now we have too few fire fighters and police officers. This type of mistake in making policy at the national level not only leaves the nation exposed to attack, but our interests and allies around the world as well.
Gary Delong has been silent, never pushed back and residents face greater dangers than we should. Our nation is at war, there are potential hot spots around the globe from the Middle East to Asia and this is no time to send someone with no experience in this arena to Washington. Gary Delong has not demonstrated leadership in keeping our community safe. Why should we expect any better performance when the issues become bigger and more complex?
I would like to be your Congressman, bringing my experience as a Marine Corps combat veteran, former local city official and member of the House Armed Services Committee to keep our nation safe. I can assure you making tough decisions is something I have done.
Courtesy photo of Steve Kuykendall.
- LB Chamber PAC endorses DeLong for Congress (oc-breeze.com)
- How the money stacks up through 2011 in CA-47 (oc-breeze.com)
- Former Long Beach Mayor Sato endorses Kuykendall for Congress in 47th District (oc-breeze.com)
- Congressional candidation Steve Kuykendall advocates hiring veterans (oc-breeze.com)
- Former Congressman Steve Kuykendall to speak at Long Beach Republican candidates forum (oc-breeze.com)
- Former California Governor Wilson endorses Steve Kuykendall for Congress (oc-breeze.com)
- Candidate Kahn supports educational vouchers (oc-breeze.com)
- Congressional candidate Kuykendall names campaign finance chairman (oc-breeze.com)
- DeLong campaign releases list of OC endorsements (oc-breeze.com)
- U.S. Senator John McCain endorses Kuykendall for Congress (oc-breeze.com)