This article by Cypress College Public Information Officer Marc S. Posner was originally published in @Cypress online (PDF), the college’s online newspaper.
“CYPRESS VALLEY HIGH,” a short film made in collaboration with Cypress College students during a master workshop with artist in residence Kiel Johnson last year, will make its world premier at the LA FILM + MUSIC WEEKEND 2012 this weekend.
The short film will be screened on Sunday, March 25, at 2:40 p.m.
The showing will be followed by a question-and-answer session with Johnson and director Terrence Lee.
From the LA FILM + MUSIC page about “Cypress Valley High”:
Created as a collaboration between Roger TV, Kiel Johnson and Cypress College, “Cypress Valley High” is a creative short film that explores the creative possibilities of bringing cardboard robots to life.
Johnson, an artist known for his work with cardboard, served as an “artist in residence” at Cypress College during the 2010-2011 academic year. He and faculty worked with students to design cardboard robot costumes, which students then wore to act scenes for the film.
In spring 2011, faculty member Devon Tsuno and Johnson transformed the main lobby of the Fine Arts Building into a large — and very visible — studio for an intensive three-day workshop where students created cardboard costumes for the film. “Cypress Valley High” was later filmed in the college Gym, with students wearing the costumes and acting the roles.
A special, and free, screening — along with a Q-and-A — will be held for the Cypress College community in April. Details will be announced when they are formalized.
- Cypress College forensics students win at Fall Champs (oc-breeze.com)
- Cypress College Theater presents a variety of Latin music on March 30 (oc-breeze.com)
- Mini-grants supporting Cypress College students available through Foundation (oc-breeze.com)
- Cypress College students saves life of injured motorcyclist (oc-breeze.com)
- Cypress College Auto Tech students win trip to NASCAR Acceleration Weekend (oc-breeze.com)
- Karen Watson, Cypress College 2003 Teacher of the Year, Succumbs to Cancer (oc-breeze.com)
- Spectacular Americana event among the most successful ever (oc-breeze.com)