The following information was released by the Tustin Unified School District. Dr. Litfin’s resignation was confirmed by Los Alamitos Unified School District Board Member Diana Hill. Mrs. Hill wished Dr. Litfin good luck in his new position, and emphasized that the District would be looking for a replacement who could skillfully lead curriculum changes already in the works.
The Tustin Unified School District has appointed Dr. Grant Litfin as Director of Secondary Education. He will begin July 1.
Litfin has worked in public education for 11 years. Prior to joining TUSD, he served as principal of Los Alamitos High School in the Los Alamitos Unified School District for three years. He has also been a middle school science/technology teacher, assistant principal and principal in the Torrance Unified School District.
Litfin has a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from St. John’s University, a master’s degree in educational management and school administration from the University of La Verne, and his doctorate in education from the University of Southern California.
While serving as principal of Los Alamitos High School, Litfin expanded technology use at the school, implemented online learning systems in social science, established an athletics partnership with Oakley and increased Advanced Placement (AP) participation and pass rates, earning a national award for the school. He also served on the District’s Educational Technology Committee, traveled to China to establish a sister-school relationship between Los Alamitos and a school in Benbgu, China, and chaired the Los Alamitos Youth Center 60th annual campaign.
Among his other accomplishments, Litfin has received scholar awards and grants in science, math and technology; has established business partnerships in athletics and technology; and won the Outstanding Volunteer Award in 2008 from the Torrance Chamber of Commerce.
He has also presented at leadership and teamwork workshops, served as a CIF trainer in coaching and participated as a member of the NASA Advanced Space Academy for Educators.
Litfin, who is a marathon runner and musician, lives in San Pedro with his wife, Heather, and two children, Gwen and Gavin.
File photo by C.E.H. Wiedel of Los Alamitos High School.
- Los Al High principal leaves for Tustin (ocregister.com)
- LAHS names Jeff Actkinson its 2012 Hero of the Heart (oc-breeze.com)
- Los Alamitos School Board approves acceptance of donations (oc-breeze.com)
- LAHS teacher chosen for Harvard summer program (oc-breeze.com)
- LAUSD Board accepts donations for schools (oc-breeze.com)
- LAHS cheer squad win national championship (oc-breeze.com)
- Modernization projects to effect summer use of Los Alamitos school facilities (oc-breeze.com)
- LAHS Sound Trax choir claims national title (oc-breeze.com)
- Los Alamitos High School open house set for April 5 (oc-breeze.com)
- Los Alamitos High School choirs qualify to compete for national title in April (oc-breeze.com)