The following information was released by the California National Guard. Emphasis added.
The California National Guard will present Bronze Star Medals to the families of two Army veterans during a ceremony at the 40th Infantry Division rotunda beginning at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, May 19, at Joint Forces Training Base, Los Alamitos. Maj. Gen. Scott W. Johnson, commander of the 40th ID, will present the medals.
Capt. James H. Markle will be awarded the Bronze Star Medal posthumously for his meritorious service during the Tet Offensive in Vietnam when his actions as an executive officer of a medical clearing company proved vital in saving numerous lives. Markle served a combat tour in Vietnam with Company C, 7th Support Battalion, 199th Light Infantry Brigade from July 1967 to June 1968. His wife, Beverly, and daughter, Jayme, will accept the medal on his behalf.
Later, Sgt. James O. McVay, a World War II veteran, will be awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions against the enemy in Italy on Jan. 1, 1945 while assigned to Company B, 4th Ranger Infantry Battalion. He will also receive the Ranger Tab, the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Army Good Conduct Medal, and the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with four bronze service stars with arrowhead. McVay’s daughter, Sandy Margritz, will accept these awards on his behalf as he is recovering from a recent accident.
The Bronze Star Medal is the fourth-highest combat award conferred by the U.S. Armed Forces and the ninth-highest military award, including both combat and non-combat awards. It is awarded for bravery, acts of merit, or meritorious service.
U.S. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher and members of the local Red Cross chapter will be in attendance.
The ceremony will take place at 4480 Yorktown Street Ave., Building 3, Los Alamitos, CA 90720.
Official seal of Joint Forces Training Base Los Alamitos.
- CA National Guardsmen to fly out of JFTB Thursday morning (oc-breeze.com)
- 40th Combat Aviation Brigade to change command (oc-breeze.com)
- Los Alamitos leaders recognized as VIPS at JFTB deployment ceremony (oc-breeze.com)
- Seal Beach Lions deliver clothing to JFTB (oc-breeze.com)
- Preparations spinning up for 2012 Wings, Wheels, Rotors and Expo (oc-breeze.com)
- Cypress College grad earns Bronze Star in Operation Enduring Freedom (oc-breeze.com)
- 140th Chemical Company flies out of JFTB (oc-breeze.com)
- Saving private jobs by protecting JFTB Los Alamitos (oc-breeze.com)