At its second meeting in May, held on Tuesday due to the Memorial Day holiday, the Cypress City Council presented a certificate of recognition to Oxford Academy Principal Kathy Scott, commending the local magnet high school for its ranking by U.S. News and World Report as the best high school in California.
The magazine awarded the school a gold medal.
In describing Oxford’s achievement, Cypress Mayor Doug Bailey noted that the school will this year achieve a 100% graduation rate for its senior class.
Analysis by U.S. News and World Report:
Rankings of other local schools
Cypress High School: silver medal, 236th in the state
John F. Kennedy High School: silver medal, 224th in the state
Los Alamitos High School: silver medal, 167th in the state
Pictured, left to right: Cypress Councilman Phil Luebben; Cypress Mayor Pro Tem Prakash Narain, M.D.; Cypress Mayor Doug Bailey; Oxford Academy Principal Kathy Scott; Cypress Councilman Todd Seymore; Cypress Councilman Leroy Mills. Photo by C.E.H. Wiedel.
- Rotary names Tim Lampert as May Student of the Month (oc-breeze.com)
- Oxford student government and City of Cypress sponsor senior dance (oc-breeze.com)
- Pearl Harbor survivor Jack Hammett speaks at Cypress Chamber mentoring breakfast (oc-breeze.com)
- LAHS Principal resigning, heading to Tustin (oc-breeze.com)
- Cypress Rotary and CHS Interact Club volunteer at Darrell Essex Park (oc-breeze.com)
- Auditions for LAHS show choirs slated for June 4 and 5 (oc-breeze.com)
- Latest national ranking honors O.C. schools (ocregister.com)