The votes counts and percentages were released by the California Secretary of State.
The new “jungle” primary sends the top two vote-getters on to the general election, regardless of party affiliation.
In the 72nd Assembly District, two Republicans will advance to the general — if the count holds up under any challenges that may be advanced.
Troy Edgar claimed the biggest piece of the pie with 13,735 votes representing 28.5%.
Second-place proved to be a real slugfest, with Republcian Travis Allen taking 9,579 votes (19.9%), Democrat Joe Dovinh 9,351 votes (19.4%) and Long Pham 8,767 (18.2%).
So Travis Allen beat out Joe Dovinh by 228 votes, a tenth of a percentage point.
The remaining contender, Democrat Albert Ayala, trailed Long Pham by 1983 votes, receiving 6,784 (14.1%).
UPDATE: As of 5:05 p.m., Travis Allen retained his second-place finish with 10,093 votes (20.0%). Joe Dovinh was third with 9,728 (19.3%) and Long Pham was fourth with 9,111 (18.1%).
65th Assembly District
The neighboring 65th Assembly District contest was much quieter, with only two candidates. Despite Republican Chris Norby taking 22,480 votes (58.5%) to Democrat Sharon Quirk-Silva’s count of 15,950 (41.5%), both will advance to the general election. It seems likely that Norby will retain a seat in the Assembly in November.
Courtesy photo of Troy Edgar.
- Assembly candidate Allen pledges no new taxes (oc-breeze.com)
- Troy Edgar officially announces for 72nd Assembly District (oc-breeze.com)
- California Secretary of State releases certified candidate list (oc-breeze.com)
- California Women’s Leadership Association backs Troy Edgar in 72nd Assembly race (oc-breeze.com)
- Assembly candidate Edgar gains California Republican Assembly endorsement (oc-breeze.com)
- Republican Women to hold candidate forum (oc-breeze.com)
- Troy Edgar elected head of OC Sanitation District (oc-breeze.com)
- Assembly candidate Edgar collects endorsement of Howard Jarvis Taxpayer Association PAC (oc-breeze.com)
- OC Pro-Family Candidate Campaign endorses Dean Grose (oc-breeze.com)