The following information was released by the Cypress Community Festival Committee.
Make the Chili and they will come – They came! Hundreds and hundreds of chili tastin’ folks arrived at the 32nd Cypress Community Festival held Saturday, July 28 at Oak Knoll Park.
It was a typical California sunny day and the temps were hot at the chili cookoff event. Starting at 12 noon, Taster’s choice ballots were sold for $4 that included a pencil, ballot, plastic spoon, and a taster’s choice judge ribbon and button.
According to Brian Sunley, chili cookoff Chair, over 1,500 taster’s choice ballots were sold. And there were 30 chili-making cooks registered and 11 salsa makers entered that made up this year’ s cookoff.
Around 4:30 p.m. the chili cookoff awards presentation started with the taster’s choice 1st prize going to Free Fat Chili. The 2nd prize went to C&C Chili. Third prize was given to Uncle Ron’s. The best chili by an attorney went to Ernie Nishii.
The best decorated booth award was presented to Blazin’ Bail Bonds and they also won for the best chili by a rookie. The best chili by a high school booster was given to Cypress High School Football. The best chili made for the fun of it award was given to the Class of ’81. And the best salsa award went to Krazy Kelly.
Many people also enjoyed checking out the numerous classic cars and vehicles that made up the 17th Annual Car Show. Close to 100 vehicles were featured and admired. The Best of Show award was won by Carl Laski, owner of a 1917 Model T Fire Truck. And the Sponsor’s Choice award was given to Pat Sulferino, owner of a 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe. Complete Festival information is available at: http://www.cypressfestival.com.
Free Fat Chili was awarded the “Tasters Choice” at the 2012 Cypress Community Festival. Courtesy photo.
- Cypress Community Festival Day! More vendors! More cars! More chili and salsa! (oc-breeze.com)
- Cypress Community Festival to honor sponsors at mixer on July 26 (oc-breeze.com)
- Scenes from Festival Day: Cypress Soroptimists collect pasta (oc-breeze.com)
- Cypress Woman’s Club awards scholarships to Oxford Academy students (oc-breeze.com)
- Reallyshooo Kids Review brings joy to Cypress Festival stage (oc-breeze.com)
- Latest map of Cypress Community Festival Grounds now available (oc-breeze.com)