Apparently, the disappearing signage on the proposed site of a Fresh & Easy market at Ball Rd. and Walker St. in Cypress was an ill omen.
According to an article in the Sacramento Bee, Fresh & Easy’s parent company, Tesco PLC, is calling off its attempt to establish a non-union chain of grocery stores in the western United States.
The article speculates that Tesco will put the chain up for sale, or close down the stores if no buyer is found.
That’s too bad.
The neighborhood shopping center on the northwest corner of Ball Rd. and Walker St. has struggled to find a long-term tenant for that large space.
The center did recently increase its visitor count significantly when Chuze Fitness opened in the space formerly occupied by Tuesday Morning (and before that by a drug store).
Tuesday Morning relocated to a storefront formerly occupied by a fabric store, across Meridian Dr. from the Target shopping center at Knott Ave. and Katella Ave.
The closest operating Fresh & Easy locations to Cypress are in Buena Park (7880 Valley View St.) and Garden Grove (12452 Valley View St.).
More about Orange County Breeze
Did you know that we have a monthly print edition?
We also have digital version of our print edition online.
To receive a daily email summary of the news, subscribe to our free daily feed!
- Fresh & Easy parent looking to leave U.S. (modbee.com)
- Fresh & Easy ‘likely’ To Sell or Close All Their Stores (laist.com)
- Fresh & Easy grocery stores may be closed (sfgate.com)
- Fresh & Easy may pull out of U.S. (napavalleyregister.com)
- Fresh & Easy Markets May Be Pulled Out Of Southland (losangeles.cbslocal.com)
- Fresh & Easy Supermarkets Likely to Leave U.S. (investorplace.com)
- Tesco Backs Away From U.S. Operations (nytimes.com)
- Fresh & Easy owner may shut grocery store chain (mercurynews.com)
- Fresh & Easy supermarket chain for sale (bowlersdesk.com)
- Fresh & Easy could exit Valley (fresnobee.com)