Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, March 18, 2017:
Areas of fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 71. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 51. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Temperatures are expected to drop back to seasonable levels, with a chance of rain starting Tuesday.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1692 William Penn is deprived of his governing powers.
- 1782 Birth of John C. Calhoun, U.S. statesman.
- 1837 Birth of Stephen Grover Cleveland, 22nd and 24th President of the United States (1885-1889 and 1893-1897), the only U.S. president elected for two nonconsecutive terms.
- 1863 Confederate women riot in Salisbury, North Carolina. to protest the lack of flour and salt in the South.
- 1865 The Congress of the Confederate States of America adjourns for the last time.
- 1874 Hawaii signs a treaty giving exclusive trading rights with the islands to the United States.
- 1881 Barnum and Bailey’s Greatest Show on Earth opens in Madison Square Gardens.
- 1911 Theodore Roosevelt opens the Roosevelt Dam in Phoenix, Arizona, the largest dam in the United States to date.
- 1917 The Germans sink the U.S. ships City of Memphis, Vigilante and Illinois without any type of warning.
- 1932 Birth of John Updike, American poet and novelist.
- 1939 Georgia finally ratifies the Bill of Rights, 150 years after the birth of the federal government. Connecticut and Massachusetts, the only other states to hold out, also ratify the Bill of Rights in this year.
- 1942 The third military draft begins in the United States.
- 1943 American forces take Gafsa in Tunisia.
- 1953 The Braves baseball team announces that they are moving from Boston to Milwaukee.
- 1969 President Richard M. Nixon authorizes Operation Menue, the ‘secret’ bombing of Cambodia.
- 1970 The U.S. Postal Service is paralyzed by the first postal strike.
- 1971 U.S. helicopters airlift 1,000 South Vietnamese soldiers out of Laos.
- 1981 The United States discloses biological weapons tests in Texas in 1966.