Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, March 19, 2017:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 71. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 52. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
A storm system is expected to enter the region, bringing below-seasonable highs and a chance of rain most of the week.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1589 Birth of William Bradford, governor of Plymouth colony for 30 years.
- 1687 The French explorer La Salle is murdered by his own men while searching for the mouth of the Mississippi, along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico.
- 1822 Boston is incorporated as a city.
- 1848 Birth of Wyatt Earp, U.S. marshal.
- 1860 Birth of William Jennings Bryan, orator, statesman, known as “The Great Communicator.”
- 1879 Jim Currie opens fire on the actors Maurice Barrymore and Ben Porter near Marshall, Texas. His shots wound Barrymore and kill Porter.
- 1891 Birth of Earl Warren, governor of California, later 14th Supreme Court Chief Justice.
- 1903 The U.S. Senate ratifies the Cuban treaty, gaining naval bases in Guantanamo and Bahia Honda.
- 1904 Birth of John J. Sirica, U.S. Federal Judge who ruled on Watergate issues.
- 1916 The First Aero Squadron takes off from Columbus, NM to join Gen. John J. Pershing and his Punitive Expedition against Pancho Villa in Mexico.
- 1917 The Adamson Act, eight hour day for railroad workers, is ruled constitutional by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 1918 Congress authorizes Daylight Saving Time.
- 1920 The U.S. Senate rejects the Versailles Treaty for the second time.
- 1924 U.S. troops are rushed to Tegucigalpa as rebel forces take the Honduran capital.
- 1925 Birth of Brent Scrowcroft, Lt. Gen. (USAF), National Security Advisor to President George H.W. Bush.
- 1931 The state of Nevada legalizes gambling.
- 1963 In Costa Rica, President John F. Kennedy and six Latin American presidents pledge to fight Communism.
- 1981 One technician is killed and two others are injured during a routine test on space shuttle Columbia.