Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, April 18, 2017:
A 20 percent chance of light rain before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 74. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 55. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
High temperatures are expected to gradually rise, peaking in the low 80s at the end of the week.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service. The tomato icon indicates that the overnight low is forecast to be above 50°F. Tomatoes will set fruit only at temperatures at or above 50°F.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1676 Sudbury, Massachusetts is attacked by Indians.
- 1775 American revolutionaries Paul Revere and William Dawes ride though the towns of Massachusetts warning that the British regulars were coming.
- 1818 A regiment of Indians and blacks is defeated at the Battle of Suwannee, in Florida, ending the First Seminole War.
- 1847 U.S. forces defeat Mexicans at Cerro Gordo in one of the bloodiest battle of the Mexican-American War.
- 1861 Colonel Robert E. Lee turns down an offer to command the Union armies.
- 1906 A massive earthquake hits San Francisco, with a moment magnitude of 7.8. Around 3,000 people die and over 80% of the city is destroyed.
- 1918 Birth of Clifton Keith Hillegass, founder of the study guides known as Cliff’s Notes.
- 1923 Yankee Stadium opens with Babe Ruth hitting a three-run homer as the Yankees beat the Red Sox 4-1.
- 1942 James H. Doolittle bombs Tokyo and other Japanese cities.
- 1943 Traveling in a bomber, Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, the mastermind of the attack on Pearl Harbor, is shot down by American P-38 fighters.
- 1978 The U.S. Senate approves the transfer of the Panama Canal to Panama.
- 1983 A suicide bomber kills U.S. Marines at the U.S. Embassy in Lebanon.