Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, May 17, 2017:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 71. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 57. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Highs are expected to rise into the mid 80s by the end of the week, with mostly sunny skies.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service. The tomato icon indicates that the overnight low is forecast to be above 50°F. Tomatoes will set fruit only at temperatures at or above 50°F.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1792 Merchants form the New York Stock Exchange at 70 Wall Street.
- 1863 Union General Ulysses Grant continues his push towards Vicksburg at the Battle of the Big Black River Bridge.
- 1875 The first Kentucky Derby is run in Louisville.
- 1881 Frederick Douglass is appointed recorder of deeds for Washington, D.C.
- 1903 Birth of James “Cool Papa” Bell, baseball player.
- 1912 Birth of Archibald Cox, special prosecutor in the Watergate hearings, fired by President Richard Nixon.
- 1954 The U.S. Supreme Court unanimously rules for school integration in Brown v. Board of Education.
- 1973 The Senate Watergate Committee begins its hearings.
- 1987 In the Persian Gulf the American guided missile frigate USS Stark is struck by 2 Exocet missiles fired by an Iraqi aircraft; only one detonates, but 37 sailors are killed and 21 are wounded. Whether the launch was deliberate or a mistake is still debated.