Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, May 19, 2017:
Sunny, with a high near 84. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 59. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to peak in the mid- to upper-80s early in the new week, followed by a gradual drop back into the 70s, with mostly sunny skies forecast.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service. The tomato icon indicates that the overnight low is forecast to be above 50°F. Tomatoes will set fruit only at temperatures at or above 50°F.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1780 Near total darkness descends on New England at noon. No explanation is found.
- 1848 Mexico ratifies the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which ends the Mexican-American War. Under the treaty Mexico agrees to cede California, most of Arizona and New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, and parts of Wyoming and Colorado, with the Rio Grande River becoming the boundary of Texas. In return the United States agrees to pay Mexico $15 million.
- 1856 Senator Charles Sumner speaks out against slavery.
- 1858 A pro-slavery band led by Charles Hamilton executes unarmed Free State men near Marais des Cygnes on the Kansas-Missouri border.
- 1863 Union General Ulysses S. Grant‘s first attack on Vicksburg is repulsed.
- 1864 The Union and Confederate armies launch their last attacks against each other at Spotsylvania, Virginia.
- 1895 Birth of Johns Hopkins, merchant and philanthropist.
- 1921 Congress sharply curbs immigration, setting a national quota system.
- 1925 Birth of Malcolm X (Malcolm Little), African-American activist.
- 1935 The National Football League adopts an annual college draft to begin in 1936.
- 1964 U.S. diplomats find at least 40 microphones planted in the American embassy in Moscow.
- 1967 U.S. planes bomb Hanoi for the first time.