Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, July 16, 2017:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 84. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 68. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1763 Born: John Jacob Astor, American fur trader and entrepreneur.
- 1801 The U.S. fleet arrives in Tripoli.
- 1821 Andrew Jackson becomes the governor of Florida.
- 1864 Confederate President Jefferson Davis replaces General Joseph E. Johnston with General John Bell Hood in hopes of defeating Union General William T. Sherman outside Atlanta.
- 1889 Born: Erle Stanley Gardner, detective writer, creator of Perry Mason.
- 1898 U.S. troops under General William R. Shafter take Santiago de Cuba during the Spanish-American War.
Born: Bernice Abbott, photographer.
- 1912 Born: Art Linkletter, radio and television personality.
- 1923 Born: James Purdy, writer (Cabot Wright Begins).
- 1935 Born: Peter Schickele, composer, creator of P.D.Q. Bach.
- 1960 American pilot Francis Gary Powers pleads guilty to spying charges in a Moscow court.
- 1966 Ho Chi Minh orders a partial mobilization of North Vietnam to defend against American airstrikes.
- 1987 Lt. Col. Oliver North and Rear Adm. John Poindexter begin testifying to Congress regarding the Iran-Contra scandal.