Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, September 19, 2017:
Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 66. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Temperatures are expected to rise to the upper 80s late in the week, with morning clouds followed by afternoon sun.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1692 Giles Corey is pressed to death for standing mute and refusing to answer charges of witchcraft brought against him. He is the only person in America to have suffered this punishment.
- 1777 American forces under Gen. Horatio Gates meet British troops led by Gen. John Burgoyne at Saratoga Springs, NY.
- 1863 In Georgia, the two-day Battle of Chickamauga begins as Union troops under George Thomas clash with Confederates under Nathan Bedford Forrest.
- 1918 American troops of the Allied North Russia Expeditionary Force receive their baptism of fire near the town of Seltso against Soviet forces.
- 1957 The first underground nuclear test takes place in Nevada.
- 1982 The first documented emoticons, 🙂 and :-(, are posted on the Carnegie Mellon University Bulletin Board System by Scott Fahlman.
- 1985 The Parents Music Resource Center which was formed by Tipper Gore (wife of then-Senator Al Gore) and other political wives lobbies for Parental Advisory stickers on music packaging.