Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, September 20, 2017:
Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 78. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Temperatures are expected to rise to the upper 80s late in the week, with morning clouds followed by afternoon sun.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1565 Pedro Menendez of Spain wipes out the French at Fort Caroline, in Florida.
- 1784 Packet and Daily, the first daily publication in America, appears on the streets.
- 1806 Explorers Meriwether Lewis and William Clark pass the French village of La Charette, the first white settlement they have seen in more than two years.
- 1830 The National Negro Convention convenes in Philadelphia with the purpose of abolishing slavery.
- 1850 The slave trade is abolished in the District of Columbia.
- 1863 Union troops under George Thomas prevent the Union defeat at Chickamauga from becoming a rout, earning him the nickname “the Rock of Chickamauga.”
- 1934 Bruno Hauptmann is arrested for the kidnapping and murder of the Lindbergh baby.
- 1952 Scientists confirm that DNA holds hereditary data.
- 1971 Hurricane Irene becomes the first hurricane known to cross from the Atlantic to Pacific, where it is renamed Hurricane Olivia.
- 1973 In a pro tennis bout dubbed “The Battle of the Sexes,” Billie Jean King beats Bobby Riggs at the Houston Astrodome in Texas.
- 2001 US President George W. Bush, addressing a joint session of Congress, declares a “war on terror.”.
- 2011 The US military ends its “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy and allows gay men and women to serve openly.