Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, September 21, 2017:
A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 76. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east after midnight.
Temperatures are expected to rise to the upper 80s late in the week, with morning clouds followed by afternoon sun.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1673 James Needham returns to Virginia after exploring the land to the west, which would become Tennessee.
- 1863 Union troops defeated at Chickamauga seek refuge in Chattanooga, Tennessee, which is then besieged by Confederate troops.
- 1904 Exiled Nez Perce leader Chief Joseph dies of a “broken heart”.
- 1937 The women’s airspeed record is set at 292 mph by American pilot Jacqueline Cochran.
- 1944 US troops of the 7th Army, invading Southern France, cross the Meuse River.
- 1989 General Colin Powell is confirmed by the US Senate as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- 2003 The Galileo space mission ends as the probe is sent into Jupiter’s atmosphere where it is crushed.