Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, October 13, 2017:
Sunny, with a high near 81. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 57. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Temperatures are expected to spike into the low 90s before dropping back down to seasonable levels.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1670 Virginia passes a law that blacks arriving in the colonies as Christians cannot be used as slaves.
- 1775 The Continental Congress orders the establishment of the Continental Navy (later renamed the United States Navy). The main goal of the Navy is to intercept shipments of British matériel and generally disrupt British maritime commercial operations.
- 1776 Benedict Arnold is defeated at Lake Champlain.
- 1792 President George Washington lays the cornerstone for the White House.
- 1812 At the Battle of Queenston Heights, a Canadian and British army defeats the Americans who have tried to invade Canada.
- 1849 The California state constitution, which prohibits slavery, is signed in Monterey.
- 1942 In the first of four attacks, two Japanese battleships sail down the slot and shell Henderson field on Guadalcanal, in an unsuccessful effort to destroy the American Cactus Air Force.
- 1983 The Space Shuttle Challenger, carrying seven, the largest crew to date, lands safely at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.