Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, December 6, 2017:
Sunny, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Clear, with a low around 49. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
A High Wind Warning is in effect until December 8 at 4 p.m. and a Red Flag Warning until December 8 at 8 p.m.
High temperatures are expected to remain above average through the week.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1861 Union General George G. Meade leads a foraging expedition to Gunnell’s farm near Dranesville, Virginia.
- 1862 President Abraham Lincoln orders the hanging of 39 of the 303 convicted Indians who participated in the Sioux Uprising in Minnesota. They are to be hanged on December 26.
- 1863 The monitor Weehawken sinks in the Charleston Harbor.
- 1865 The 13th Amendment is ratified, abolishing slavery.
- 1876 Jack McCall is convicted for the murder of Wild Bill Hickok and sentenced to hang.
- 1877 Thomas A. Edison makes the first sound recording when he recites “Mary had a Little Lamb” into his phonograph machine.
- 1886 Birth of Joyce Kilmer, American poet, best known for “Trees.”
- 1896 Birth of Ira Gershwin, American lyricist and musical collaborator with his brother George.
- 1934 American Ambassador Davis says Japan is a grave security threat in the Pacific.
- 1941 President Franklin D. Roosevelt issues a personal appeal to Emperor Hirohito to use his influence to avoid war.
- 1945 The United States extends a $3 billion loan to Great Britain to help compensate for the termination of the Lend-Lease agreement.
- 1947 Florida’s Everglades National Park is established.
- 1948 The “Pumpkin Spy Papers” are found on the Maryland farm of Whittaker Chambers. They become evidence that State Department employee Alger Hiss is spying for the Soviet Union.
- 1957 Vanguard TV3 explodes on the launchpad, thwarting the first US attempt to launch a satellite into Earth’s orbit.
- 1967 Adrian Kantrowitz performs the first human heart transplant in the US.
- 1969 Hells Angels, hired to provide security at a Rolling Stones concert at the Altamont Speedway in California, beat to death concert-goer Meredith Hunter.
- 1973 The US House of Representatives confirms Gerald Ford as Vice-President of the United States, 387–35.
- 1976 Democrat Tip O’Neill is elected speaker of the House of Representatives. He will serve the longest consecutive term as speaker.
- 2006 NASA reveals photographs from Mars Global Surveyor that suggest the presence of water on the red planet.