Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, December 7, 2017:
Sunny, with a high near 82. Breezy, with a northeast wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 49. East wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph.
A High Wind Warning is in effect until December 8 at 4 p.m. and a Red Flag Warning until December 8 at 8 p.m.
High temperatures are expected to remain above average through the week.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1787 Delaware becomes the first state to ratify the Constitution of the United States.
- 1808 James Madison is elected president, succeeding Thomas Jefferson.
- 1861 USS Santiago de Cuba, under Commander Daniel B. Ridgely, halts the British schooner Eugenia Smith and captures J.W. Zacharie, a New Orleans merchant and Confederate purchasing agent.
- 1862 Confederate forces surprise an equal number of Union troops at the Battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas.
- 1863 Outlaw George Ives, an alleged member of an outlaw gang known as the “Innocents,” robs and then kills Nick Thiebalt in the Ruby Valley of what would become Montana.
- 1917 The United States declares war on Austria-Hungary with only one dissenting vote in Congress.
- 1941 Japanese planes raid Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, in a surprise attack, bringing the US into WWII.
- 1942 The US Navy launches the USS New Jersey, the largest battleship ever built.
- 1946 The president of the United Mine Workers, John L. Lewis, orders all striking miners back to work.
- 1949 The AFL and the CIO organize a non-Communist international trade union.
- 1972 The crew of Apollo 17, the last manned mission to the moon, lifts off at Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- 1981 The Reagan Administration predicts a record deficit in 1982 of $109 billion.
- 1995 The Galileo spacecraft arrives at Jupiter after a 6-year journey.
- 1999 The Recording Industry Association of America files a copyright infringement suit against the file-sharing website Napster.