Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, February 13, 2018:
A 20 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 64. East wind around 5 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
A 20 percent chance of showers before 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
There will be a chance of showers through midweek, with highs in the 60s to mid-70s.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 The four day Battle of Fort Donelson, Tennessee, begins.
- 1865 The Confederacy approves the recruitment of slaves as soldiers, as long as the approval of their owners is gained.
- 1866 Jesse James holds up his first bank.
- 1892 Birth of Grant Wood, painter (American Gothic).
- 1910 Birth of William B. Shockley, physicist, co-inventor of the transistor.
- 1914 The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is founded.
- 1922 Birth of Harold “Hal” Moore Jr., US Army lieutenant general, author; led the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment at the 1965 Battle of Ia Drang Valley. His best-known book, co-authored with combat journalist Joe Galloway, is We Were Soldiers Once … And Young, an account of that battle.
- 1936 The first social security checks are put in the mail.
- 1951 At the Battle of Chipyong-ni, in Korea, UN troops contain the Chinese forces’ offensive in a two-day battle.
- 1953 The Pope asks the United States to grant clemency to convicted spies Ethel and Julius Rosenberg.
- 1968 The United States sends 10,500 more combat troops to Vietnam.
- 1970 General Motors is reportedly redesigning automobiles to run on unleaded fuel.
- 1972 Enemy attacks in Vietnam decline for the third day as the United States continues its intensive bombing strategy.