Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, February 14, 2018:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 47. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to peak in the mid-70s over the weekend before dropping back into the 60s.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1779 American Loyalists are defeated by Patriots at Kettle Creek, Georgia.
- 1817 Birth of Frederick Douglass, slave, and later, activist and author.
- 1848 James Polk becomes the first US President to be photographed in office by Matthew Brady.
- 1859 Oregon is admitted as the thirty-third state.
- 1859 Birth of George Washington Gale Ferris, inventor of the Ferris Wheel.
- 1870 Esther Morris becomes the world’s first female justice of the peace.
- 1876 Rival inventors Elisha Gray and Alexander Graham Bell both apply for patents for the telephone.
- 1904 The “Missouri Kid” is captured in Kansas.
- 1912 Arizona becomes the 48th state in the Union.
- 1915 Kaiser Wilhelm II invites the US Ambassador to Berlin in order to confer on the war.
- 1920 The League of Women Voters is formed in Chicago in celebration of the imminent ratification of the 19th Amendment, giving women the right to vote.
- 1924 Thomas Watson founds International Business Machines Corporation.
- 1929 A Chicago gang war between Al Capone and George “Bugs” Moran culminates with several Moran confederates being gunned down in the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre.
- 1949 The United States charges the Soviet Union with interning up to 14 million in labor camps.
- 1955 A Jewish couple loses their fight to adopt Catholic twins as the US Supreme Court refuses to rule on state law.
- 1957 The Georgia state senate outlaws interracial athletics.
- 1965 Malcolm X’s home is firebombed. No injuries are reported.
- 1973 The United States and Hanoi set up a group to channel reconstruction aid directly to Hanoi.
- 1979 Armed guerrillas attack the US embassy in Tehran.