Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, April 14, 2018:
Sunny, with a high near 83. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 55. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
High temperatures are drop sharply at the start of the work week and hover in the upper 60s to low 70s, with mostly sunny skies.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1543 Bartolome Ferrelo returns to Spain after discovering a large bay in the New World (San Francisco).
- 1775 The first abolitionist society in the United States is organized in Philadelphia.
- 1828 The first edition of Noah Webster’s dictionary is published.
- 1860 The first Pony Express rider arrives in San Francisco with mail originating in St. Joseph, Missouri.
- 1865 Five days after General Robert E. Lee’s surrender at Appomattox, President Abraham Lincoln is shot at Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C., by Confederate sympathizer John Wilkes Booth. Lincoln succumbs to his wounds the following day.
- 1866 Birth of Anne Mansfield Sullivan, teacher who educated Helen Keller.
- 1894 Thomas Edison’s kinetoscope is shown to the public for the first time.
- 1898 Birth of Harold Black, electrical engineer.
- 1912 The passenger liner Titanic — deemed unsinkable — strikes an iceberg on her maiden voyage and begins to sink. The ship will go under the next day with a loss of 1,500 lives.
- 1945 American B-29 bombers damage the Imperial Palace during a firebombing raid over Tokyo.
- 1959 The Taft Memorial Bell Tower is dedicated in Washington, D.C.
- 1981 America’s first space shuttle, Columbia, returns to Earth.