Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, April 15, 2018:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 76. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 55. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
High temperatures are expected to hover in the upper 60s to low 70s, with mostly sunny skies.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1813 US troops under James Wilkinson lay siege to the Spanish-held city of Mobile in the future state of Alabama.
- 1871 ‘Wild Bill’ Hickok becomes the marshal of Abilene, Kansas.
- 1861 President Lincoln mobilizes the Federal army.
- 1865 Abraham Lincoln dies from John Wilkes Booth‘s assassination bullet.
- 1874 Birth of George Harrison Shull, American botanist, developer of hybrid corn.
- 1889 Birth of Asa Phillip Randolph, American labor leader and Civil Rights advocate.
- 1898 Birth of Bessie Smith, American blues singer.
- 1912 With her band playing on the deck, the ocean liner Titanic sinks at 2:27 a.m. in the North Atlantic.
- 1922 Birth of Harold Washington, the first black mayor of Chicago
- 1923 Insulin becomes generally available for people suffering with diabetes.
- 1923 The first sound films shown to a paying audience are exhibited at the Rialto Theater in New York City.
- 1945 President Franklin D. Roosevelt is buried on the grounds of his Hyde Park home.
- 1952 President Harry Truman signs the official Japanese peace treaty.
- 1955 Ray Kroc starts the McDonald’s chain of fast food restaurants.
- 1960 The Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) organizes at Shaw University.
- 1971 North Vietnamese troops ambush a company of Delta Raiders from the 101st Airborne Division near Fire Support Base Bastogne in Vietnam. The American troops are on a rescue mission.
- 1986 US warplanes attack Libya.