Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, April 16, 2018:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. West wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. West wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Temperatures are expected to gradually rise across the week, but remain fairly pleasant throughout.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1818 The US Senate ratifies the Rush-Bagot amendment to form an unarmed US-Canada border.
- 1862 Confederate President Jefferson Davis approves a conscription act for white males between 18 and 35.
- 1862 Slavery is abolished in the District of Columbia.
- 1864 Birth of Flora Batson, African-American soprano-baritone singer.
- 1867 Birth of Wilbur Wright, designer, builder and flyer of the first airplane.
- 1922 Annie Oakley shoots 100 clay targets in a row, setting a woman’s record.
- 1945 The destroyer USS Laffey survives horrific damage from attacks by 22 Japanese aircraft off Okinawa, earning the nickname “The Ship That Would Not Die.”
- 1945 American troops enter Nuremberg, Germany.
- 1947 A lens which provides zoom effects is demonstrated in New York City.
- 1968 The Pentagon announces the “Vietnamization” of the war.
- 1972 Two giants pandas arrive in the US from China.