Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, May 15, 2018:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 72. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 56. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Temperatures are expected to remain in the low 70s with morning clouds giving way to afternoon sun.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1602 English navigator Bartholomew Gosnold discovers Cape Cod.
- 1820 The US Congress designates the slave trade a form of piracy.
- 1856 Birth of Lyman Frank Baum, author (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz).
- 1860 Birth of Ellen Louise Axson Wilson, first wife of President Woodrow Wilson.
- 1862 The Union ironclad Monitor and the gunboat Galena fire on Confederate troops at the Battle of Drewry’s Bluff, Virginia.
- 1864 At the Battle of New Market, Virginia Military Institute cadets repel a Union attack.
- 1886 Emily Dickinson dies in Amherst, Massachusetts, where she had lived in seclusion for the previous 24 years.
- 1916 US Marines land in Santo Domingo to quell civil disorder.
- 1918 Pfc. Henry Johnson and Pfc. Needham Roberts receive the Croix de Guerre for their services in World War I. They are the first Americans to win France’s highest military medal.
- 1930 Ellen Church becomes the first airline stewardess.
- 1942 The United States begins rationing gasoline.
- 1963 The last Project Mercury space flight, carrying Gordon Cooper, is launched.
- 1968 US Marines relieve army troops in Nhi Ha, South Vietnam after a fourteen-day battle.
- 1972 Gov. George Wallace is shot by Arthur Bremer in Laurel, Maryland.
- 1975 The merchant ship Mayaguez is recaptured from Cambodia’s Khmer Rouge.