Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, May 16, 2018:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 73. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy drizzle after 11pm. Increasing clouds, with a low around 57. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Temperatures are expected to remain in the low 70s with morning clouds giving way to afternoon sun.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1801 Birth of William Henry Seward, US Secretary of State (1861-1869).
- 1804 Birth of Elizabeth Palmer Peabody, founder of the first US kindergarten.
- 1863 At the Battle of Champion’s Hill, Union General Ulysess S. Grant repulses the Confederates, driving them into Vicksburg.
- 1868 President Andrew Johnson is acquitted during Senate impeachment, by one vote, cast by Edmund G. Ross.
- 1905 Birth of Henry Fonda, American actor (Grapes of Wrath, On Golden Pond).
- 1918 Congress passes the Sedition Act of 1918, making criticism of the federal government during wartime an imprisonable offense.
- 1928 The first Academy Awards are held in Hollywood.
- 1960 A Big Four summit in Paris collapses because of the American U-2 spy plane affair.
- 1963 After 22 Earth orbits, Gordon Cooper returns to Earth, ending the last mission of Project Mercury.