Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, May 17, 2018:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 71. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Patchy drizzle after 11pm. Increasing clouds, with a low around 58. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Temperatures are expected to remain in the low 70s with morning clouds giving way to afternoon sun.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1792 Merchants form the New York Stock Exchange at 70 Wall Street.
- 1863 Union General Ulysses Grant continues his push towards Vicksburg at the Battle of the Big Black River Bridge.
- 1875 The first Kentucky Derby is run in Louisville.
- 1881 Frederick Douglass is appointed recorder of deeds for Washington, D.C.
- 1954 The US Supreme Court unanimously rules for school integration in Brown v. Board of Education.
- 1973 The Senate Watergate Committee begins its hearings.
- 1987 In the Persian Gulf, the American guided missile frigate USS Stark is struck by 2 Exocet missiles fired by an Iraqi aircraft. Only one detonates, but 37 sailors are killed and 21 are wounded. Whether the launch was deliberate or a mistake is still debated.