Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, July 10, 2018:
Partly sunny, with a high near 89. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight.
The heat wave will gradually diminish, with high temperatures returning to more seasonable levels as the week progresses.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1679 The British crown claims New Hampshire as a royal colony.
- 1776 The statue of King George III is pulled down in New York City.
- 1778 In support of the American Revolution, Louis XVI declares war on England.
- 1850 Millard Fillmore is sworn in as the 13th president of the United States following the death of Zachary Taylor.
- 1890 Wyoming becomes the 44th state.
- 1893 Dr. Daniel Hale Williams performs the first successful open-heart surgery, without the benefit of penicillin or blood transfusion.
- 1925 The trial of Tennessee teacher John T. Scopes opens, with Clarence Darrow appearing for the defense and William Jennings Bryan for the prosecution.
- 1927 Birth of David Dinkins, first African-American mayor of New York City.
- 1942 General Carl Spaatz becomes the head of the U.S. Air Force in Europe.
- 1943 American and British forces complete their amphibious landing of Sicily.
- 1945 U.S. carrier-based aircraft begin airstrikes against Japan in preparation for invasion.
- 1951 Armistice talks between the United Nations and North Korea begin at Kaesong.
- 1962 The satellite Telstar is launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, beaming live television from Europe to the United States.
- 1965 “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” becomes the Rolling Stones’ first No. 1 single in the USA.
- 1967 Singer Bobbie Gentry records “Ode to Billie Joe,” which will become a country music classic and win 4 Grammys.
- 1985 Coca-Cola Co. announces it will resume selling “old formula Coke,” following a public outcry and falling sales of its “new Coke.”