America’s Christian Credit Union (“ACCU”) has reported that counterfeit cashier’s checks are being presented for payment. Here is what is known so far:
- ACCU cashier’s checks have been counterfeited and are an excellent reproduction of the actual checks.
- The counterfeit checks are being sent to individuals nationwide along with a letter from “Mystery Survey” asking them to cash the check, purchase gift cards, send front and back images of the gift cards to a number listed on the letter, and keep a portion of the check proceeds as their “payment.”
- The check number ranges that have been seen so far are 59979-60169. This range is within the range of checks numbers ACCU is currently issuing, which makes it difficult to determine which are good checks and which are counterfeit checks.
- Most of the checks are in the amount of $1,000. However, one financial institution called about a counterfeit check in the amount of $2,980.00.
- To verify the validity of the checks, or for additional information please contact: Marty Archer
AVP of Compliance
America’s Christian Credit Union
(800) 343-6328 ext. 5556
The article above was released by the California Department of Business Oversight.