Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, August 10, 2018:
Patchy smoke before 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 90. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 72. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to drop back into the 80s over the week.
The article above is based on information released by the National Weather Service.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1753 Birth of Edmund Jennings Randolph, governor of Virginia and first US attorney general.
- 1831 William Driver of Salem, Massachusetts, is the first to use the term “Old Glory” in connection with the American flag, when he gives that name to a large flag aboard his ship, the Charles Daggett.
- 1846 The Smithsonian Institution is established in Washington through the bequest of James Smithson.
- 1864 Confederate Commander John Bell Hood sends his cavalry north of Atlanta to cut off Union General William Sherman’s supply lines.
- 1874 Birth of Herbert Hoover, 31st president of the United States (1929-1933).
- 1909 Birth of George W. Crockett, first African-American lawyer with the US Department of Labor.
- 1909 Birth of Leo Fender, inventor of the first mass-produced electric guitar.
- 1949 The National Military Establishment is renamed the Department of Defense.
- 1950 President Harry S Truman calls the National Guard to active duty to fight in the Korean War.
- 1954 The groundbreaking ceremony for the St. Lawrence Seaway is held at Massena, New York.
- 1960 NASA launches Discoverer 13, a satellite; it would become the first object ever recovered from orbit.
- 1975 David Frost purchases the exclusive rights to interview Richard Nixon.
- 1977 The US and Panama sign the Panama Canal Zone accord, guaranteeing Panama would have control of the canal after 1999.