Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, September 12, 2018:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 81. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 65. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are expected to remain in the 80s throughout the week, with lows in the mid-60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1609 Henry Hudson sails into what is now New York Harbor aboard his sloop Half Moon.
- 1662 Governor Berkley of Virginia is denied his attempts to repeal the Navigation Acts.
- 1880 Birth of Henry L. Mencken, journalist and iconoclast known as the “Sage of Baltimore.”
- 1892 Birth of Alfred A. Knopf, American publisher.
- 1910 Birth of Alexander D. Langmuir, epidemiologist, created and led the US Epidemic Intelligence Service.
- 1913 Birth of Jesse Owens, track and field athlete who won four medals at the Berlin Olympics in 1936.
- 1944 American troops fight their way into Germany.
- 1969 President Richard Nixon orders a resumption in bombing North Vietnam.
- 1990 East and West Germany, along with the UK, the US and the USSR — the Allied nations that had occupied post-WWII Germany — sign the final settlement for reunification of Germany.
- 1992 The Space Shuttle Endeavor takes off on NASA’s 50th shuttle mission. Its crew includes the first African-American woman in space, the first married couple, and the first Japanese citizen to fly in a US spacecraft.
- 2011 In New York City, the 9/11 Memorial Museum opens to the public.