Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, September 14, 2018:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 87. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 63. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in the 80s throughout the week, with lows in the mid-60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1814 Francis Scott Key writes the words to the “Star Spangled Banner” as he waits aboard a British launch in Chesapeake Bay for the outcome of the British assault on Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.
- 1847 US forces under Gen. Winfield Scott capture Mexico City, virtually bringing the two-year Mexican War to a close.
- 1862 At the battles of South Mountain and Crampton’s Gap, Maryland Union troops smash into the Confederates as they close in on what will become the Antietam battleground.
- 1901 Vice President Theodore Roosevelt is sworn in as the 26th President of the United States upon the death of William McKinley, who was shot eight days earlier.
- 1921 Birth of Constance Baker Motley, the first African-American woman to be appointed a federal judge.
- 1966 Operation Attleboro, designed as a training exercise for American troops, becomes a month-long struggle against the Viet Cong.
- 1975 Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton becomes the first native-born American saint in the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1984 Joe Kittinger, a former USAF fighter pilot during the Vietnam War, becomes the first person to pilot a gas balloon solo across the Atlantic Ocean.