Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, October 10, 2018:
Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 74. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
A slight chance of showers after 11pm. Increasing clouds, with a low around 62. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Partly to mostly sunny skies are expected, with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s and lows in the low 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1845 The US Naval Academy is founded at Annapolis, Md.
- 1863 The first telegraph line to Denver is completed.
- 1877 Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer is buried at West Point in New York.
- 1900 Birth of Helen Hayes, American actress.
- 1933 At Rio de Janeiro, nations of the Western Hemisphere sign a non-aggression and conciliation treaty. President Roosevelt adopts a “good neighbor” policy toward Latin America and announces a policy of nonintervention in Latin American affairs at the December 7 International American Conference at Montevideo, Uruguay.
- 1953 The Mutual Defense Treaty between the US and South Korea is signed.
- 1966 US Forces launch Operation Robin, in Hoa Province south of Saigon in South Vietnam, to provide road security between villages.
- 1971 The London Bridge, built in 1831 and dismantled in 1967, reopens in Lake Havusu City, Arizona, after being sold to Robert P. McCulloch and moved to the United States.
- 1973 Spiro Agnew resigns the vice presidency amid accusations of income tax evasion. President Richard Nixon names Gerald Ford as the new vice president. Agnew is later convicted and sentenced to three years probation and fined $10,000.
- 1985 An Egyptian plane carrying hijackers of the Achille Lauro cruise ship is intercepted by US Navy F-14s and forced to land at a NATO base in Sicily.