Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, October 11, 2018:
A slight chance of sprinkles before 11am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 61. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
There will be a slight chance of showers over the weekend. Otherwise, partly to mostly sunny skies are expected, with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s and lows in the low 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 The Confederate Congress in Richmond passes a draft law allowing anyone owning 20 or more slaves to be exempt from military service. This law confirms many Southerners’ opinion that they are in a “rich man’s war and a poor man’s fight.”
- 1844 Birth of Henry Heinz, manufacturer, founder of H.J. Heinz Co.
- 1877 Outlaw Wild Bill Longley, who killed at least a dozen men, is hanged, but it takes two tries. In the first try, the rope slips and his knees touch the ground.
- 1884 Birth of Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of President Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1906 The San Francisco school board orders the segregation of Oriental schoolchildren, inciting Japanese outrage.
- 1910 Birth of Joseph Alsop, American journalist.
- 1942 In the Battle of Cape Esperance, near the Solomon Islands, US cruisers and destroyers decisively defeat a Japanese task force in a night surface encounter.
- 1950 The Federal Communications Commission authorizes the Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) to begin commercial color TV broadcasts.
- 1962 Pope John XXIII opens the 21st Ecumenical Council (Vatican II) with a call for Christian unity. This is the largest gathering of the Roman Catholic hierarchy in history; among delegate-observers are representatives of major Protestant denominations, in itself a sign of sweeping change.
- 1968 Apollo 7, with three men aboard, is successfully launched from Cape Kennedy.
- 1972 A French mission in Vietnam is destroyed by a US bombing raid.
- 1972 A race riot breaks out on the US Navy aircraft carrier Kitty Hawk off the coast of Vietnam during Operation Linebacker. Kitty Hawk will eventually be forced to retire to San Diego and will be removed from the Vietnam War.
- 1975 Saturday Night Live, a comedy-variety show, premiers on NBC, with guest host comedian George Carlin and special guests Janis Ian, Andy Kaufman and Billy Preston. At this writing (2018) the show is still running.
- 1984 Astronaut Kathryn D. Sullivan, part of the crew of the Space Shuttle Challenger, becomes the first American woman to walk in space.
- 1991 Confirmation hearings for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas begin.
- 2000 NASA launches its 100th Space Shuttle mission.
- 2001 The Polaroid Corporation, which had provided shutterbugs with photo prints in minutes with its “instant cameras” since 1947, files for bankruptcy.