Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, November 8, 2018:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 55. East wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
High temperatures are expected to spike back into the 80s near the end of the week, followed by a gradual drop.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1861 Charles Wilkes seizes Confederate commissioners John Slidell and James M. Mason from the British ship Trent.
- 1864 President Abraham Lincoln is re-elected in the first wartime election in the United States.
- 1887 Doc Holliday, who fought on the side of the Earp brothers during the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral 6 years earlier, dies of tuberculosis in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
- 1889 Montana becomes the 41st state of the Union.
- 1900 Birth of Margaret Mitchell, American writer who found success in her first and only novel, Gone With the Wind.
- 1904 President Theodore Roosevelt is elected the 26th president of the United States. He had been vice president until the assassination of President William McKinley.
- 1910 The Democrats prevail in congressional elections for the first time since 1894.
- 1932 Franklin D. Roosevelt is elected the 32nd president of the United States.
- 1938 Crystal Bird Fauset of Pennsylvania becomes the first African-American woman to be elected to a state legislature.
- 1942 The United States and Great Britain invade Axis-occupied North Africa.
- 1960 John F. Kennedy is elected the 35th president, defeating Republican candidate Richard Nixon in the closest election, by popular vote, since 1880.
- 1965 In the Vietnam War, Operation Hump takes place: the US 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team is ambushed by over 1,200 Viet Cong in Bien Hoa Province. Nearby, in the Gang Toi Hills, a company of the Royal Australian Regiment also engage Viet Cong forces.
- 1966 Republican Edward Brooke of Massachusetts becomes the first African-American elected to the Senate in 85 years.
- 1983 Wilson B. Goode is elected as the first black mayor of the city of Philadelphia.
- 2000 A dispute begins over the US presidential election between George W. Bush and Al Gore; a Supreme Court ruling on Dec. 12 results in a 271-266 electoral victory for Bush.
- 2004 More than 10,000 US troops and a few Iraqi army units besiege an insurgent stronghold at Fallujah.