Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, December 5, 2018:
Rain. High near 63. East wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 10pm. Low around 54. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
A weather system is expected to pass through the area in the middle of the week, bringing more precipitation, followed by sunny skies and a chance of more rain next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 Phi Beta Kappa is organized as the first American college Greek-letter fraternity, at William and Mary College, Williamsburg, Va.
- 1782 Birth of Martin Van Buren, 8th president in the United States – and the first born in the United States.
- 1839 Birth of George Armstrong Custer, Union cavalry leader who met his fate at the Battle of the Little Bighorn.
- 1861 In the US Congress, petitions and bills calling for the abolition of slavery are introduced.
- 1862 Union General Ulysses S. Grant‘s cavalry receives a setback in an engagement on the Mississippi Central Railroad at Coffeeville, Mississippi.
- 1864 Confederate General John Bell Hood sends Nathan Bedford Forrest‘s cavalry and a division of infantry toward Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- 1901 Birth of Walt Disney, animator and creator of an entertainment empire.
- 1933 The 21st Amendment ends Prohibition in the United States, which had begun 13 years earlier.
- 1937 The Lindberghs arrive in New York on a holiday visit after a two-year voluntary exile.
- 1945 Four TBM Avenger bombers disappear approximately 100 miles off the coast of Florida.
- 1955 A bus boycott begins under the leadership of the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., in Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1964 Captain Roger Donlon is awarded the first Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry above and beyond the call of duty in Vietnam.
- 1966 Comedian and political activist Dick Gregory heads for Hanoi, North Vietnam, despite federal warnings against it.
- 2007 A gunman armed with a semi-automatic rifle kills 8 people at Westroads Mall, Omaha, Nebraska, before taking his own life.