Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, November 11, 2019:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 75. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 54. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Temperatures are expected to rise during the week, peaking on Tuesday before cooling slightly. Temperatures expected to rise again over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1778 Indians, led by William Butler, massacre the inhabitants of Cherry Valley, N.Y.
- 1831 Nat Turner, a slave who led a revolt against slave owners, is hanged in Jerusalem, Virginia.
- 1885 Birth of George S. Patton, U.S. Army commander in World War II.
- 1889 Washington becomes the 42nd state of the Union.
- 1909 Construction begins on the naval base at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.
- 1918 The German leaders sign the armistice ending World War I.
- 1921 The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery is dedicated.
- 1922 Birth of Kurt Vonnegut, American novelist (Slaughterhouse Five).
- 1922 Canada’s Vernon McKenzie urges to fight U.S. propaganda with taxes on U.S. magazines.
- 1933 The first of the great dust storms of the 1930s hits North Dakota.
- 1935 Albert Anderson and Orvil Anderson set a new altitude record in South Dakota, when they float to 74,000 feet in a balloon.
- 1938 Irving Berlin’s “God Bless America” is performed for the first time by singer Kate Smith.
- 1953 The polio virus is identified and photographed for the first time in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1966 The United States launches Gemini 12, a two-man orbiter, into orbit.
- 1970 U.S. Army Special Forces raid the Son Tay prison camp in North Vietnam but find no prisoners.
- 1993 Sculpture honoring women who served in the Vietnam War dedicated at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC.