Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, February 6, 2020:
Sunny, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 45. Calm wind.
Highs are forecast to moderate slightly, reaching into the low 70s by Saturday before returning to the 60s with a chance of showers early next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1756 Birth of Aaron Burr, 3rd U.S. Vice President.
- 1778 France recognizes the United States and signs a treaty of aid in Paris.
- 1788 Massachusetts becomes the sixth state to ratify the Constitution.
- 1862 The Battle of Fort Henry, Tenn., begins the Mississippi Valley campaign.
- 1891 The Dalton Gang commits its first crime, a train robbery in Alila, Calif.
- 1895 Birth of George Herman “Babe” Ruth, baseball player
- 1899 The Spanish-American War ends.
- 1900 President McKinley appoints W.H. Taft commissioner to report on the Philippines.
- 1911 Birth of Ronald Reagan, film actor and 40th U.S. President (1981-1989).
- 1916 Germany admits full liability for Lusitania incident and recognizes the United State’s right to claim indemnity.
- 1922 The Washington Disarmament Conference comes to an end with signature of final treaty forbidding fortification of the Aleutian Islands for 14 years.
- 1944 Kwajalein Island in the Central Pacific falls to U.S. Army troops.
- 1945 MacArthur reports the fall of Manila, and the liberation of 5,000 prisoners.
- 1963 The United States reports that all Soviet offensive arms are out of Cuba.
- 1964 Cuba blocks the water supply to Guantanamo Naval Base in rebuke of the United State’s seizure of four Cuban fishing boats.
- 1965 Seven U.S. GIs are killed in a Viet Cong raid on a base in Pleiku.
- 1975 President Gerald Ford asks Congress for $497 million in aid to Cambodia.
- 1982 Civil rights workers begin a march from Carrolton to Montgomery, Alabama.