Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, June 23, 2020:
Cloudy through mid morning, then clearing, with a high near 78. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 62. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in the mid to upper 70s over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1683 William Penn signs a friendship treaty with the Lenni Lenape Indians in Pennsylvania.
- 1863 Confederate forces overwhelm a Union garrison at the Battle of Brashear City in Louisiana.
- 1865 Confederate General Stand Watie surrenders his army at Fort Towson, in the Oklahoma Territory.
- 1876 Birth of Irvin S. Cobb, U.S. writer, actor, and editor.
- 1885 Former general and president Ulysses S. Grant dies at the age of 63.
- 1944 In one of the largest air strikes of the war, the U.S. Fifteenth Air Force sends 761 bombers against the oil refineries at Ploiesti, Romania.
- 1964 Henry Cabot Lodge resigns as the U.S. envoy to Vietnam and is succeeded by Maxwell Taylor.
- 1966 Civil Rights marchers in Mississippi are dispersed by tear gas.