Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, June 25, 2020:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 74. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 62. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1862 The first day of the Seven Days’ campaign begins with fighting at Oak Grove, Virginia.
- 1864 Union troops surrounding Petersburg, Virginia, begin building a mine tunnel underneath the Confederate lines.
- 1868 The U.S. Congress enacts legislation granting an eight-hour day to workers employed by the federal government.
- 1876 General George A. Custer and over 260 men of the Seventh Cavalry are wiped out by Sioux and Cheyenne Indians at Little Bighorn in Montana.
- 1886 Birth of Henry (Hap) Arnold, U.S. Army Air Force general during World War II.
- 1887 Birth of George Abbott, American playwright, director and producer (Three Men on a Horse, Damn Yankees).
- 1903 Birth of George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair), novelist, essayist and critic (Animal Farm, 1984).
- 1921 Samuel Gompers is elected head of the American Federation of Labor for the 40th time.
- 1962 The U.S. Supreme Court bans official prayers in public schools.
- 1964 President Lyndon Johnson orders 200 naval personnel to Mississippi to assist in finding three missing civil rights workers.
- 1973 White House Counsel John Dean admits President Richard Nixon took part in the Watergate cover-up.
- 1986 Congress approves $100 million in aid to the Contras fighting in Nicaragua.