Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, June 26, 2020:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 76. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 62. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1742 Birth of Arthur Middleton, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1804 The Lewis and Clark Expedition reaches the mouth of the Kansas River after completing a westward trek of nearly 400 river miles.
- 1819 Birth of Abner Doubleday, Civil War general.
- 1844 Julia Gardiner and President John Tyler are married in New York City.
- 1862 General Robert E. Lee attacks George McClellan’s line at Mechanicsville during the Seven Days’ campaign.
- 1863 Jubal Early and his Confederate forces move into Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
- 1892 Birth of Pearl S. Buck, American novelist (The Good Earth).
- 1900 The United States announces it will send troops to fight against the Boxer Rebellion in China.
- 1902 Birth of William P. Lear, American engineer and industrialist.
- 1915 Birth of Charlotte Zolotow, American children’s writer.
- 1917 General Pershing arrives in France with the American Expeditionary Force.
- 1924 After eight years of occupation, American troops leave the Dominican Republic.
- 1926 A memorial to the first U.S. troops in France is unveiled at St. Nazaire.
- 1942 The Grumman F6F Hellcat fighter flies for the first time.
- 1945 The U.N. Charter is signed by 50 nations in San Francisco, California.
- 1951 The Soviet Union proposes a cease-fire in the Korean War.
- 1963 President John Kennedy announces “Ich bin ein Berliner” at the Berlin Wall.
- 1971 The U.S. Justice Department issues a warrant for Daniel Ellsberg, accusing him of giving away the Pentagon Papers.
- 1993 Roy Campanella, legendary catcher for the Negro Leagues and the Los Angeles Dodgers, dies.