Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, September 15, 2020:
Widespread haze. Sunny, with a high near 89. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Clear, with a low around 66. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain fairly consistent in the upper 80s to low 90s before gradually dropping into the lower 80s at the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 The British occupy Manhattan.
- 1857 Birth of William Howard Taft, 26th president of the United States (1909-1913).
- 1858 The Butterfield Overland Mail Company begins delivering mail from St. Louis to San Francisco. The company’s motto is: “Remember, boys, nothing on God’s earth must stop the United States mail!”
- 1862 Confederates capture Harpers Ferry, securing the rear of Robert E. Lee’s forces in Maryland.
- 1891 The Dalton gang holds up a train and takes $2,500 at Wagoner, Oklahoma.
- 1914 President Woodrow Wilson orders the Punitive Expedition out of Mexico. The Expedition, headed by General John Pershing, had been searching for Pancho Villa, a Mexican revolutionary.
- 1950 U.N. Forces, lead by the U.S. Marine Corps, invade occupied Korea at the port of Inchon. Considered the greatest amphibious attack in history, it is the zenith of General Douglas MacArthur’s career.
- 1959 Nikita Khrushchev becomes first Soviet leader to visit the US.
- 1961 Hurricane Carla comes ashore in Texas, the second-most powerful ever to make landfall in that state.
- 1963 Four young African-American girls are killed by the bombing of a church in Birmingham, Alabama.
- 1966 US President Lyndon Johnson urges Congress to adopt gun control legislation in the wake of Charles Whitman’s sniper attack from the University of Texas’s Texas Tower; in all, Whitman shot and killed 15 people before being shot dead himself by an Austin police officer.
- 1981 Sandra Day O’Connor is unanimously approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee to become the first female justice on the US Supreme Court.
- 1998 MCI WorldCom begins operations after a landmark merger between World Com and MCI Communications.
- 2004 National Hockey League commissioner Gary Bettman announces a lockout of the players union.
- 2008 The largest Chapter 11 bankruptcy in US history is filed by Lehman Brothers financial services firm.