Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, October 19, 2020:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 79. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 60. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are expected to gradually drop into the lower 70s over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1739 England declares war on Spain over borderlines in Florida. The War is known as the War of Jenkins’ Ear because the Spanish coast guards cut off the ear of British seaman Robert Jenkins.
- 1781 Major General Lord Charles Cornwallis surrenders to George Washington and Count de Rochambeau at Yorktown, Va. Cornwallis surrenders 7,157 troops, including sick and wounded, and 840 sailors, along with 244 artillery pieces. Losses in this battle had been light on both sides. The Revolutionary War is effectively ended.
- 1848 John “The Pathfinder” Fremont moves out from near Westport, Missouri, on his fourth Western expedition–a failed attempt to open a trail across the Rocky Mountains along the 38th parallel.
- 1864 At the Battle of Cedar Creek, Va., a narrow victory helps the Union secure the Shenandoah Valley.
- 1873 Yale, Princeton, Columbia and Rutgers universities draft the first code of football rules.
- 1942 The Japanese submarine I-36 launches a floatplane for a reconnaissance flight over Pearl Harbor. The pilot and crew report on the ships in the harbor, after which the aircraft is lost at sea.
- 1960 Canada and the United States agree to undertake a joint Columbia River project to provide hydroelectric power and flood control.
- 1973 President Richard Nixon rejects an Appeals Court demand to turn over the Watergate tapes.
- 1987 In retaliation for Iranian attacks on ships in the Persian Gulf, the U. S. navy disables three of Iran’s offshore oil platforms.