Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, November 21, 2020:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 74. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 51. Calm wind.
Highs are to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s through the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1620 Leaders of the Mayflower expedition frame the “Mayflower Compact,” designed to bolster unity among the settlers.
- 1789 North Carolina ratifies the Constitution, becoming the 12th state to do it.
- 1855 Franklin Colman, a pro-slavery Missourian, guns down Charles Dow, a Free Stater from Ohio, near Lawrence, Kansas.
- 1864 From Georgia, Confederate General John B. Hood launches the Franklin-Nashville Campaign into Tennessee.
- 1906 In San Juan, President Theodore Roosevelt pledges citizenship for Puerto Rican people.
- 1920 Birth of Stan “The Man” Musial, Hall of Fame baseball player for the St. Louis Cardinals.
- 1927 Police turn machine guns on striking Colorado mine workers, killing five and wounding 20.
- 1934 A New York court rules Gloria Vanderbilt unfit for custody of her daughter.
- 1934 Cole Porter’s musical Anything Goes premieres at New York’s Alvin Theatre.
- 1970 U.S. planes conduct widespread bombing raids in North Vietnam.
- 1985 US Navy intelligence analyst Jonathan Pollard arrested for spying and passing classified information to Israel; he received a life sentence on Nov. 1, 1987.
- 1986 The Justice Department begins an inquiry into the National Security Council into what will become known as the Iran-Contra scandal.
- 1995 The Dayton Peace Agreement is initialed at Wright Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio; the agreement, formally ratified in Paris on Dec. 14, ends the three-and-a-half year war between Bosnia and Herzegovina.