Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, January 10, 2021:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 45. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
High temperatures are expected to rise into the upper 70s to low 80s over the course of the week, peaking on Friday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1811 An uprising of over 400 slaves is put down in New Orleans. Sixty-six blacks are killed and their heads are strung up along the roads of the city.
- 1847 General Stephen Kearny and Commodore Robert Stockton retake Los Angeles in the last California battle of the Mexican War.
- 1861 Florida secedes from the Union.
- 1864 Birth of George Washington Carver, chemist, agronomist, helped change the agricultural economy of the South.
- 1870 John D. Rockefeller and his brother William establish the Standard Oil Company of Ohio.
- 1899 Filipino leader Emilio Aguinaldo renounces the Treaty of Paris, which annexed the Philippines to the United States.
- 1901 The Automobile Club of America installs signs on major highways.
- 1903 Argentina bans the importation of American beef because of sanitation problems.
- 1918 In Washington, the House of Representatives passes legislation for women’s suffrage.
- 1923 The United States withdraws its last troops from Germany.
- 1964 Panama breaks ties with the U.S. and demands a revision of the canal treaty.
- 1984 The United States and the Vatican establish full diplomatic relations for the first time in 117 years.